The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Co. offers the only significant alternative Catholic voice that provides avenues for expression of diverse perspectives. NCR is an independent news source with global interests, and although a large amount of its reporting deals with issues of the Catholic Church, an equal amount of its coverage is a marriage of the religious, political and social forces shaping public policies and institutions. We are concerned for all people and we are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or other characteristics. Throughout our history, we have been a voice for the disadvantaged and the marginalized, and we have told the stories of injustice that others simply will not print.
The administrative assistant will be responsible for the nitty gritty details involved in running the organization’s publications. The person in this position will report to the publisher, but will also work with other department leaders on general and specific projects.
This is a full-time position with access to company-sponsored benefits, including health care insurance, a retirement plan and accrued vacation time.
The administrative assistant will be expected to:
- Assist the publisher/CEO in day-to-day duties as well as special projects, including research projects.
- Handle travel arrangements for visitors to the NCR offices, including hotel rooms and airport transportation.
- Organize and handle arrangements for the twice-a-year meetings of NCR’s board of directors, including meeting space and meals.
- Take minutes at the board of directors meetings.
- Coordinate and oversee the work of volunteers, including the work of Cristo Rey student volunteers
- Coordinate and oversee the logistics involved in putting on events, both in-house and for the larger NCR community.
- Assist other departments with specific projects when needed and when time allows
The suitable candidate will be expected to have:
- Associate’s degree or higher, or the equivalent in work experience
- Minimum of two years’ experience in an office environment
- Experience with Microsoft Suite, especially Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with database systems
- Valid driver’s license
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Team-oriented, flexible, positive, personable outlook and willingness to learn
- Proven ability to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team
- Passion for social justice, human dignity and the common good – all core values of the National Catholic Reporter
- Appreciation for and understanding of the history and mission of the National Catholic Reporter
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally
- Ability and willingness to live in the Kansas City area
Send a cover letter and resume with "NCR, Administrative Assistant” in subject line to email@example.com. Applications with cover letters will be given first consideration.