The EarthBeat Editor will be expected to:
- Set the strategic direction of EarthBeat within the overall framework of NCR, by maintaining expertise in the area of faith, environmental activism and the climate crisis, and by developing coverage plans for innovative coverage of the beat;
- Commission writers (including an EarthBeat staff writer, NCR interns and freelance writers), review and edit manuscripts, and provide feedback on articles being considered for publication;
- Edit and occasionally post breaking and/or wire stories, using Drupal;
- Write occasional articles and editorials in the area(s) of expertise;
- Collaborate with NCR and Global Sisters Report editors and teams;
- Interact regularly on social media platforms that grow traffic and reach across generations as well as work with production and engagement editors to expand EarthBeat's presence on social media and with multimedia content;
- Work with marketing, advertising and fundraising staff to grow the reach of EarthBeat and help secure its sustainability;
- Represent EarthBeat and NCR in the wider community of religion journalists and climate activists and scholars through speaking engagements, at conferences and through media appearances;
- Work from a home base and through pre-approved travel;
- Maintain high standards of accuracy, accountability and integrity;
- Other duties as assigned by executive editor.
The ideal candidate for this position will be able to demonstrate:
- Bachelor's degree or higher, five years experience reporting on Catholic and/or environmental issues, with a known range of contacts in the field;
- A successful track record of editorial leadership;
- Knowledge of the Catholic church, especially Catholic social teaching and the history of church's involvement with environmental issues;
- Experience as an assigning editor on a variety of story forms including breaking news, profiles, investigations and interactive formats;
- Experience with environmental coverage, either as a reporter or editor;
- Capacity to achieve fluency in a content management system (NCR uses Drupal);
- Ability to work collegially with a geographically-dispersed staff;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Capacity to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly; residence in or near a major urban center a plus.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company (NCR) is a non-profit, independent, lay-led news organization that reports on the Catholic Church and wider moral issues facing the human family. It publishes the National Catholic Reporter bi-monthly in print and daily at ncronline.org. It also publishes Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat online. These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Throughout our history, NCR has been a voice for the voiceless, disadvantaged and marginalized. It has held authority, secular or religious, accountable.