The Jesuit School of Theology invites ordained, vowed religious, and laity, who are depleted or in-transition, and other faith-based care providers, change-makers, teachers, and leaders seeking theological updating and spiritual renewal to join us for our Renewal Program. The Renewal Program provides a holistic, sabbatical experience of contemplative rest, theological renewal, and spiritual transformation, available in-person or online for one or two semesters. Sabbatical participants at JST join a scholarly community rooted in the Ignatian tradition that is committed to academic excellence in the vibrant location of Berkeley, California.
Program Dates Application Deadlines
Fall: August 21 - December 17 2021 August 1 (May 15 for international applicants)
Spring: January 15 - May 20 2022 November 1 (September 15 for international)
The program includes:
- A curated, holistic sabbatical experience of weekly workshops, community-building, and opportunities for prayer, especially designed for renewal in mind, body, and spirit.
- Up to six units of one-to-three unit graduate theology courses, for audit or for credit, for professional and ministerial development and theological updating.
- An opening and closing retreat.
- Excursions to San Francisco Bay Area attractions.*
- Ongoing spiritual direction with one of our vetted directors (every two to three weeks, throughout the semester).
- Access to a treasure trove of resources through the Graduate Theological Union (GTU) and Santa Clara University (SCU) libraries.
- Welcome and participation in the larger JST-SCU and GTU community offerings.
- Additional resources (e.g., for Wellness, Ignatian Spirituality, etc.)
*Everything except for the excursions are offered online, including the retreats. We are planning to have our in-person opening retreat onsite and closing retreat offsite. Excursions and offsite retreats will be subject to university, state, federal guidelines and availability of venues.
To receive more information, register here: https://slate.scu.edu/register/renewal
About The Jesuit School of Theology: The Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University is an international center of scholarly and ministerial formation, with a faculty and student body consisting of lay men and women, Jesuits, clergy, and members of other religious orders. We are rooted in the Catholic and Ignatian tradition and engage in ecumenical, interfaith, and intercultural dialogue through the Graduate Theological Union.