Our Lady of the Prairie Retreat Director
Job Summary: The OLPR Director works cooperatively with the Congregation of the Humility of Mary (CHM) leadership to uphold CHM’s mission and core values. The OLPR Director will work collaboratively in all matters of general administration, planning, fiscal management, property maintenance, personnel management, public relations, marketing and communication. Residence on site is preferred but not required.
Mission: We who carry on ministry at Our Lady of the Prairie Retreat provide hospitality and service in a sacred space of peace and beauty that promotes respect for all creation in the tradition of the Congregation of the Humility of Mary (CHM). We welcome all to come for prayer, spiritual renewal, solitude, conferences and meetings.
Core Values: Respect all people, and appreciates diversity among people, cultures and spiritual traditions. Upholds the principles of simple and sustainable living and good stewardship of supplies and resources.
Accountability: Reports to President of the Congregation of the Humility of Mary
• Develops and clarifies the operational vision for OLPR to align with its mission.
• Organizes events and programs in coordination with staff, advisory committee members and volunteers to achieve the best use of facilities and resources.
• Recruits, selects and supervises staff to meet programming and maintenance needs.
• Plans annual budget, assessing expenditure needs and funding requirements.
• Procures materials and equipment necessary to maintain facilities and grounds.
• Assesses progress of programs and activities in achieving the mission of OLPR
• Prepares communications to keep stakeholders informed and promote programs and activities.
• Coordinates with CHM leadership, OLPR advisory committee and patrons regarding OLPR operations, development and funding. Coordinates all duties with the property/operations manager and program coordinator.
Qualifications and Experience
• Requires a college degree in theology, spiritual direction or pastoral studies, and three years of responsible experience in environmental stewardship, retreat programming and facility administration, or an equivalent combination of education and experience in retreat center management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Knowledge of Pope Francis’ Laudato Si, Christian spirituality and “care of the earth.”
• Knowledge of resources available for spiritual formation, spiritual program development and retreat presentation.
August 22, 2022
• Skill in the development and use of software and electronic media for marketing,
communications and programming.
• Skill in reporting progress and achievements.
• Ability to analyze program results and evaluate effectiveness in achieving the mission of the
• Ability to promote OLPR among stakeholders and generate ongoing support through donor
engagement and fundraising activities.
• Ability to manage staff, budget and resources of a year-round conference and hospitality center.
• Ability to find common ground among a diversity of styles of spirituality and religious