Michael Sean Winters notes that today marks the 10th anniverary of Pope Benedict XVI's motu proprio Summorum Pontficum, "On the Use of the Roman Liturgy Prior to the Reform of 1970." He says Benedict greatly misjudged the impact this apostolic letter would have. Latin Mass decision gave rise to new divisiveness
Toledo, Ohio -- St. John XXIII Parish aspires to be 'a beacon of light' This is part of our ongoing coverage of parish life in the United States that we call the Field Hospital. What's the Field Hospital all about, you ask? Take a look here.
File these next stories under "The State of the World":
- North Korea’s once-unthinkable nuclear and missile capabilities are here to stay. With each North Korean nuclear or missile test, American officials go through a ritual that appears increasingly at odds with reality.
- U.S. Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis says: ICBM Launch Doesn't Bring US, North Korea Closer to War
- Well, General (retired) Mattis, we can't get much closer to war anyway. The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists moved the Doomsday Clock ahead a half a minute in January. It is two and a half minutes to midnight already.
- How strange that the above is going on just as this is going on: A vote to ban nuclear weapons is a vote for Earth's future and this: US, Euro bishops call for end to nuclear weapons
Global Sisters Report just completed a "virtual retreat," a 10-day eco-scientific-spiritual program led by Maryknoll sisters in the heart of Panama's tropical forest.
- Here is the last installment: Lessons and memories from the Web of Life
- Here are all the postings from this great event: Web of Life
- Here's some background on what this is all about: An invitation to the Web of Life
I'm trying my best to keep up with the health care debate, but .... it's so hard -- who knew?
Explore this NCR special report with recent articles on the topic of immigration and family separation.
- Conservatives revolt over talk of keeping ObamaCare tax (Includes a video player with advertising.)
- Rand and Donald’s wild health care ride Rand Paul and Donald Trump have gone back and forth on an Obamacare repeal strategy, repeatedly undermining GOP leadership’s plans.
- Commentary: The reason Republican health-care plans are doomed to fail
- United against 'Trumpcare', Democrats divided on next steps (Includes a video player with advertising.)
- How Democrats Are Fighting The GOP Health Care Bill
Melissa Musick Nussbaum writes that Pallbearing, like life itself, carries weight, risk
Before (or after ... you decide) you read this CNN interview with Jesuit Fr. James Martin, Can this priest persuade church leaders to welcome gay Catholics?, check out Jamie Manson's review of Martin's book, Can Fr. James Martin's bridge hold up?
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.
Looking for comments?
We've suspended comments on NCRonline.org for a while. If you missed that announcement, learn more about our decision here.