Twelve professors at the St. Paul, Minn., university say "the pastoral state of the archdiocese is not sustainable."
A lawsuit filed Wednesday seeks to compel the bishop of New Ulm, Minn., to become the latest and final diocese in the state to disclose its list of known priests credibly accused of sexually abusing children.
The lawsuit is brought by two plaintiff, Doe 37 and Doe 38, who claim they were sexually abused by Fr. Michael Skoblik between 1967 and 1971 when they were altar servers at St. Joseph Parish in Silver Lake, Minn.
"For a pontiff who shows boldness in other areas, when it comes to abuse, he moves very slowly and timidly. Bolder measures are needed."
Fr. Robert Oliver will be the secretary of the Pontifical Commission for the Protection of Minors, which is tasked with laying out a pastoral approach to preventing abuse.
Most believe Jozef Wesolowski will be tried in a Vatican court, but a trial elsewhere would counter suspicions that a Vatican trial would be a cover-up.
We say: St. Paul-Minneapolis officials have spent more effort attempting to conceal their negligence than they have being candid with their parishioners.
Archbishop Jerome Listecki said it's up to the survivors of sexual abuse to give him a counterproposal to the $4 million he offered for compensation of some victims.
Fr. Juan Solana said he realizes "now that my words were awkward and suggest a reverence for our founder that we clearly reject."
Lawyers for a priest and Catholic school teacher convicted last year of sex abuse say prosecutors didn't inform them of a witness that would have bolstered their defense.
"Without doubt Poland considers the acts that the archbishop is alleged to have carried out as particularly repugnant."