One of the seven had previously been sued for abuse in the Los Angeles archdiocese. They are not allowed to practice their ministries.
After almost a year of investigation, the Congregation for the Doctrine of Faith concluded that Bishop Cristian Contreras Molina of San Felipe was innocent of the child abuse accusations made against him.
Through a statement, the diocese of San Felipe said that "the Vatican has concluded that those accusations were not true and has established the absence of incriminatory evidence."
The district attorney's office also closed its investigation regarding the case, the statement said, adding that the bishop had cooperated with both investigations.
“During the last two decades” the Catholic church has “been repeatedly sued because bishops and others in authority sent priests known to have molested children to new assignments where they molested other children. This is not such a case,” a federal judge wrote in the introduction to a June 12 ruling that the Diocese of Yakima, Wash., is not liable for the 1999 sexual abuse of a 17-year-old boy by a transitional deacon.
Sexual violence "is always a crime, an immoral act" and the Catholic church is committed to prevent such offenses being perpetrated "against anyone, anywhere and under any circumstances," an English cardinal said.
Speaking at the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict, Cardinal Vincent Nichols of Westminster said the rape and sexual degradation of civilians during conflicts inflicted a "deep wound on the body of humanity."
Catholics must "hold each other accountable for any actions or decisions," one speaker at the USCCB meeting said, but there was no discussion on who would look for that accountability.
Editor's note: I may have been too hasty to report on a statement from the St. Louis archdiocese this morning.
"Inaccurate and misleading reporting has impugned Archbishop Carlson’s good name and reputation," a statement from the archdiocese says.
Archbishop Robert J. Carlson said in a deposition he was uncertain that abuse of a child by a priest was a crime when he was in the Twin Cities archdiocese.
A priest in north central Mexico has been stripped of his position by the Vatican and faces criminal charges in connection with alleged sexual abuse of a teenage boy.
The case marks the first time the Catholic Church in Mexico has turned a priest in to authorities.
The move follows instructions from Pope Francis for the Catholic Church to better protect children and take a hard line with priests accused of sexual offenses.
Saying church officials must be held accountable for child sexual abuse, Chris Naples, an abuse victim, has filed suit against the Trenton, N.J., diocese.