The Executive Editor, reporting to the CEO/President, oversees the editorial process and content of NCR editorial products. As a key member of the leadership team, the Executive Editor works with the CEO/President, marketing staff and other colleagues to better position NCR to fulfill its editorial mission and develop new initiatives.
The Executive Editor will be expected to:
- Embrace NCR’s forward-looking vision and radical mission, with an emphasis on excellence in journalism.
- Lead coverage planning for breaking, enterprise and investigative reporting
- Ensure a workflow process reflecting the rigor and flexibility required to publish a high quality daily news site
- Articulate and represent the NCR mission before public audiences
- Work with and nurture less experienced reporters and writers
- Work comfortably across print and digital platforms in a collaborative environment
- Interact regularly on social media platforms that grow traffic and reach across generations
- Help frame a strategic vision that navigates the migration from digital-first pieces to the print product in order to maximize services to print subscribers, encouraging them to become donors and benefactors.
- Travel as needed.
The Executive Editor will be expected to have:
- Passion for social justice, human dignity and the common good.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher; minimum of 15 years of journalism experience, with at least five years as a manager
- Track record of excellence in journalism that includes knowledge of the various dimensions of Catholic life and the moral issues facing the human family
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends in journalism and technology, experience in addressing the financial challenges related to these trends
- Fluency of digital platforms useful in analyzing and delivering the news
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Successful record of managing operations and budgets
- Capacity to maintain equilibrium while writing and editing effectively on deadline
- Willingness and ability to make tough choices.
- History of attracting and retaining a staff of high performing colleagues
- Reputation as a fair and demanding supervisor with the ability to have continuous, clear and concise communication with other editors and staff.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products, Google documents and sheets, etc.
- Clear and collaborative work style, a sense of humor and a commitment to coaching as opposed to fixing.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company (NCR) is a non-profit, independent, lay-led news organization that reports on the Catholic Church and wider moral issues facing the human family. It publishes the National Catholic Reporter bi-monthly in print and daily at ncronline.org. It also publishes Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat online. These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation. Throughout our history, NCR has been a voice for the voiceless, disadvantaged and marginalized. It has held authority, secular or religious, accountable.
Mission: NCR connects Catholics to church, faith and the common good with independent news, analysis, and spiritual reflection.
Core Values: NCR’s core values are rooted in the Gospels and the Catholic church’s social teachings. NCR, then, is called to:
- Social justice: Casting light on institutional injustices and upon the disadvantaged and marginalized
- Human dignity: Promoting respect and honor for all members of the human family
- Environmental justice: Reporting the impact of human life on the planet’s ecosystems while galvanizing efforts to sustain their health and well being.
- Inclusiveness: Embracing the global family, its rich diversity, and the sacredness of all creation
- Excellence: Striving to achieve the highest quality of journalism.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter explaining their interest and describing their qualifications. Please include a resume with career history and names and contact information of at least five professional references. Women and journalists of color are encouraged to apply.
Position carries full benefits and salary commensurate with experience. All communications will be treated confidentially. All nominations, applications, and inquiries should be directed electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 21, 2020.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in the hiring process on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, color, age, national origin/ethnicity or religion.