The Executive Editor, reporting to the CEO/Publisher, oversees the broad editorial vision and direction for the National Catholic Reporter. As the pivotal member of the leadership team, the Executive Editor works with the CEO/Publisher, marketing, editorial and development staffs to better position NCR to fulfill its mission and develop new initiatives. This is a full-time position. The Executive Editor may work remotely, or from NCR offices in Kansas City or Washington, D.C.
The Executive Editor will be expected to:
- Embrace NCR's vision and mission, with an emphasis on excellence in journalism.
- Lead high-level planning for breaking, enterprise and investigative reporting.
- Ensure a workflow process reflecting the rigor and flexibility required to publish a high-quality daily news site and a bi-weekly print newspaper.
- Articulate and represent the NCR mission before public audiences.
- Recruit and retain a diverse staff that reflects our Catholic community.
- Work with and nurture less experienced reporters and writers.
- Work comfortably in a collaborative environment that is digital-first and includes a vital print platform.
- Maintain an active, professional social media presence across multiple platforms to promote NCR content, grow traffic and reach across generations.
- Help frame a strategic vision that encourages readers across all platforms to become donors and benefactors.
- Travel as needed; willing to work a flexible schedule, often driven by the news in a global environment.
A successful Executive Editor will have:
- Track record of excellence in journalism that includes knowledge of the various dimensions of Catholic life and the moral issues facing the human family.
- Passion for social justice, human dignity and the common good.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher; minimum of 12 years of journalism experience, with at least five years as a manager; experience managing remote/distributed teams is a plus.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends in journalism and technology, experience in addressing the financial challenges related to these trends.
- Fluency in digital platforms useful in analyzing and delivering the news.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Successful record of managing operations and budgets.
- Capacity to maintain equilibrium under the deadline pressures of a daily news operation.
- History of attracting and retaining a staff of high performing colleagues.
- Reputation as a fair, inclusive and perceptive supervisor with the ability to have continuous, clear and concise communication with other editors and staff.
- Willingness and ability to make tough choices as needed about coverage, staffing and budgeting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Workspace (Gmail, Drive, shared documents, etc.) and familiarity with Slack or similar tools.
- Familiarity with Drupal.
- Clear and collaborative work style, a sense of humor and a commitment to coaching as opposed to fixing.
Compensation and benefits:
This remote position will be full-time, with the opportunity to work in person at NCR headquarters in Kansas City, MO or our Washington, D.C. office. Salary is commensurate with experience and other relevant factors, in the range of $120,000-$130,000 annually. NCR offers the following benefits for full-time employees (employees working 24 hours or more per week):
- Health Insurance plan options (90% employer paid premium)
- Dental and Vision plan coverage (90% / 75% employer paid premium)
- Life Insurance and Long Term Disability
- Group Annuity Program (403B) with company match
- Supplemental Insurance option (Aflac)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Paid parental leave (up to 12 weeks)
- Generous paid vacation (up to 20 days per year)/sick/personal time, plus 11 paid holidays
- Flexibility for work/life integration; summer hours (between Memorial and Labor Days)
Interested parties should submit a resume with career history, along with a cover letter explaining their interest and describing their qualifications. All nominations, applications and inquiries should be directed electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 9, 2023.
All communications will be treated confidentially. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled. For selected candidates, steps in the hiring process may entail a brief writing assignment and a series of virtual (Zoom) interviews with the hiring committee and CEO/Publisher.
National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees. Reasonable accommodations or exemption will be considered for medical-related or sincerely held religious objections.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an equal opportunity employer, and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is a non-profit, independent, lay-led news organization that reports on the Catholic Church and wider moral issues facing the human family. It publishes the National Catholic Reporter bi-monthly in print and daily at NCRonline.org. It also publishes Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat online. These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation. Throughout our history, NCR has been a voice for the voiceless, disadvantaged and marginalized. It has held authority, secular or religious, accountable.