NCR offers a semester-long paid internship designed to provide recent college graduates with firsthand newspaper experience.
The Summer 2019 Program begins July/August 2019.
May 3, 2019
Interns work as a full-time staff members in the newspaper's Kansas City, Missouri, headquarters. lnterns gain experience in a fast-paced newsroom, reporting for print and web, helping with newspaper production, and maintaining NCRonline.org including social media, multimedia and blogging. Normal business hours are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Some work will happen outside normal hours, including evenings and weekends. Interns receive a monthly stipend.
- Report and write for NCR's print edition and website as assigned by an NCR editor.
- Help maintain the NCR website under the supervision of the editor.
- Participate in the production of the biweekly newspaper, which includes proofreading pages, writing news briefs and photo captions, and other duties assigned by an editor.
- If interested, the intern may help in the design and layout of print pages.
- If interested, the intern may develop multimedia presentations for the NCR website, including podcasts, videos, etc.
- Working with an NCR editor, intern will set goals based on interests.
Dates are flexible, with the opportunity to begin earlier and/or extend, in consultation with the editor. Generally, program dates are as follows:
- Summer Program: Begins in late July/early August and runs through December
- Winter Program: Begins in January and runs through June or July.
Send a cover letter, a resumé and three writing samples to Stephanie Yeagle, managing editor, at email@example.com. In the cover letter, explain how you learned of this opportunity and why you think you would be a good fit for NCR. If selected for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide references.
Meet Our Interns:
"As an intern, one of the things I most appreciated was the immediate practical reporting experience, probably the best way possible for me to quickly improve my reporting skills. I was assigned stories from day one and NCR encouraged me to develop a focus on my areas of interest, such as immigration and faith-based activism. I especially enjoyed getting to travel out of state on reporting trips three times, including a seven-day trip to Texas in September 2018 to cover the midterm elections in El Paso and a national Hispanic ministry gathering near Dallas."
- Maria Benevento, NCR Bertelsen Intern
About the Bertelsen Internship Program:
After joining the NCR Board of Directors in 2010, Tom Bertelsen set up an endowment fund to support promising young Catholic journalists. These young writers have become known as “Bertelsen Interns.” Their talents have helped shape NCR’s editorial product as they have brought with them new journalistic skills and interests and fresh vantages on the church and wider social issues.