Summary purpose of the job:
National Catholic Reporter (NCR) is the only significant alternative Catholic voice that provides avenues for expression of diverse perspectives. The NCR is an independent news source with global interests, and although a large amount of its reporting deals with issues of the Catholic Church, an equal amount of its coverage is a marriage of the religious, political and social forces shaping public policies and institutions. We are concerned for all people and we are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or other characteristics. Throughout our history, we have been a voice for the disadvantaged and the marginalized, and we have told the stories of injustice that others simply will not print.
The Major Gifts Officer will report to the Chief Advancement Officer with a specific focus on developing major gifts, planned gifts, events, and foundation funding.
The Major Gift Officer would be expected to:
- Research foundations whose giving interests match those of NCR; work to create an ongoing system based on timelines and priorities; and submit proposals and reports according to funders’ requirements.
- Research and identify individual prospects for major gifts and planned giving.
- Contact prospects – by mail, email, phone and in person – to cultivate relationships with them.
- Build portfolio of prospects; design cultivation and solicitation plans for specific individuals and groups of prospects. Strategies could include a role for other members of the advancement team, the CEO, board members and other key staff members.
- Articulate NCR’s mission, values, and needs clearly through informal and formal communications, including written proposals and brochures.
- Travel across the country up to ten days per month to build relationships and solicit significant donations.
- Work with the development team for other fund-raising campaigns, including the annual gifts effort.
- Coordinate occasional special events with key groups of donors and NCR staff.
The most suitable candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of three years fundraising experience
- Track record of success in securing major gifts and meeting fundraising goals
- Experience working with donors with significant capacity
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Familiarity with private and public sector grant processes
- Familiarity with/aptitude to learn donor database software and moves management system
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Team-oriented, flexible, positive, personable outlook and willingness to learn
- Ability to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team
- Passion for social justice, human dignity and the common good – all core values of the National Catholic Reporter
- Appreciation for and strong understanding of the history and mission of the National Catholic Reporter
- Appreciation for and understanding of news organizations and journalism
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly
- Ability and willingness to live in the Kansas City area
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com, with Major Gifts Officer in the subject line. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered.