Take a moment to ponder the photograph and what follows:
Laudato Si' — Pope Francis' letter "On Care for our Common Home" is a 150-page book that most people have not read.
Here are the "Top Ten Takeaways from Laudato Si" as summarized by Jesuit Fr. James Martin, editor at large of the Jesuit magazine, America.
- The spiritual perspective is now part of the discussion on the environment.
- The poor are disproportionately affected by climate change.
- Less is more.
- Catholic social teaching now includes teaching on the environment.
- Discussions about ecology can be grounded in the Bible and church tradition.
- Everything is connected — including the economy.
- Scientific research on the environment is to be praised and used.
- Widespread indifference and selfishness worsen environmental problems.
- Global dialogue and solidarity are needed.
- A change of heart is required.
What stands out for you from among this list of key ideas? What thoughts do you have about responding to the messages?
Special thanks for Jesuit leadership
Season of Creation Daily
pause | reflect | act