For Catholics seeking to reduce their own consumption of plastics, the parish often provides a first area. Hospitality gatherings after Mass and other social events offer a chance to not only recognize how much waste a community regularly produces, but also an opportunity to do something about it.
NCR staff writer Brian Roewe's three-part series "Reducing Waste" looks at the challenge posed by plastic pollution — the theme of Earth Day 2018 — and how Catholic parishes and communities are taking steps to reduce the waste and change lifestyles.
On the show today:
- Brian Roewe, editor of Eco Catholic and NCR staff writer
- The challenge of reducing waste has been one taken up by many parishes for years, now in the spotlight with a 2018 Earth Day theme to end plastic pollution.
- In the second article in "Reducing Waste," Catholic parishes and hospitals share results from their efforts to reduce and recycle.
- Part three of "Reducing Waste" focuses on parish change beginning with awareness, bins and reminders.
- You can download a free PDF copy of the "Reducing Waste" series by signing up for NCR news emails.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Looking for comments?
We've suspended comments on NCRonline.org for a while. If you missed that announcement, learn more about our decision here.