Are the Republicans coming apart? Escalating feud, Trump blames McConnell and Ryan for upcoming ‘mess’ on debt ceiling. See also: Donald Trump attacks James Clapper after former Intel Chief says he was unfit to be President
The U.S. bishops seem to have found a united voice on one issue:
- US Catholic bishops rebuke Donald Trump on closure of unaccompanied child migrants program
- Fort Wayne, Ind. — Bishop Rhoades backs Dream Act of 2017 protecting immigrant youth
- El Paso, Texas — Bishop attends ICE meeting for mother fearing separation from child
- Bishop Joe Vasquez of Austin, Texas: Catholic groups ask Congress to reject 'discriminatory' RAISE Act
And they seem to be finding their way on another: US bishops announce Ad Hoc Committee Against Racism
The bishops in the Philippines are having their own troubles with their government's policies: President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs has turned the Caloocan Diocese into a "killing field," Bishop Virgilio David has said.
And then there's our president:
- Trump’s border wall brinkmanship may leave Republicans in Congress holding the bag
- Odds of a government shutdown rise after Trump threat
Oh, and don't forget about this probe: U.S. Probe Finds Another Email Trying to Connect Trump Officials, Putin: CNN
A year ago two Catholic women religious were murdered in Mississippi: Survivors of sisters killed in Mississippi continue duo's 'ministry of presence'
A very good summary of the state of this issue in the USA today: Across the nation, priest sexual abuse cases haunt Catholic parishes (Includes a well done video about the situation in Guam.)
Highly recommended: A young woman reflects on her year of service in Thailand: The pages written during a year in Thailand
Start your day inspired with daily Scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning, Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.
Enter your email address to receive free newsletters from NCR.