Sorry, I'm a bit late with this Morning Briefing. Call it Noon Briefing!
The U.S. bishops are meeting this week in Baltimore, their annual fall meeting. NCR's Heidi Schlumpf and Michael Sean Winters are there looking for the news. (Read all our coverage at USCCB Fall 2017.) Until then, here's some things to think about:
- San Diego, California -- Bishop McElroy sees 'a cultural crisis in our body politic'
- Chicago -- Cardinal Cupich: Catholics are not scandalized by Pope Francis
- The NCR Editorial: It's not Pope Francis causing confusion What Cardinal Daniel DiNardo didn't say points to the wider leadership problem in the U.S. church
- Nominees announced for US bishops' conference leadership roles
- Read Michael Sean Winters' curtain raisers on the fall meeting here and here.
Work at NCR!
Seniors and recent college graduates may apply to be the next Bertelsen Editorial Intern. Learn more about this opportunity.
Note to President Trump: The new Iran strategy that you announced just three weeks ago is hanging by a thread. Its fate will likely be decided in the next few months on the Syria-Iraq border.The administration has no plan for countering Iranian and Russian interests in Eastern Syria
Global Sisters report takes a special look at poverty and children:
- Ankur school for girls: 'Picking me up from the slums'
- In Colombian slums, sisters' kitchen feeds at-risk children, keeps them off streets
- It is our duty to liberate people from poverty
Trump picks Alex Azar to lead the Health and Human Services Department Azar, 50, is a former pharmaceutical executive and a top health official during the George W. Bush administration.
Manila, the Philippines -- Donald Trump laughed when Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte called the media 'spies.' Trump either doesn't understand the role the American media plays -- both domestically and on foreign trips -- or he doesn't care.
A couple, both raised Catholic with Catholic school in their backgrounds, decide not to get married in church. Read why: I'm Catholic and Didn't Get Married in a Church For This Reason
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.
Join the Conversation
Send your thoughts and reactions to our online Letters to the Editor column. Learn more here