The Papal Trip: Once in Bangladesh, Pope speaks more freely about plight of Rohingya:
- Dhaka, Bangladesh -- Pope Francis praises Bangladesh's care for Rohingya, asks global leaders for 'decisive measures'
- Francis was in Myanmar Nov. 27-30 and in Bangladesh Nov.30-Dec. 2. Read all of NCR's reporting here.
On Wednesday, Governor Sam Brownback of Kansas was on Capitol Hill, lobbying for the Republican tax-reform bill. Hmmmmm.
- If you read our story "Kansans urge Americans to learn from their economic mistakes," you'd have to wonder if that was a good move or not.
- Here's what the Washington Post said about it: Kansas’ collapsed tax-cut plan will provide political fodder for Democrats for decades
The GOP tax bill cleared a key procedural hurdle in the Senate Wednesday, as lawmakers voted 52 to 48 to move the legislation forward toward a showdown vote on final passage by week’s end.
- Here's what the Senate Republicans' tax plan means if you're making $25,000, $75,000, or $175,000 a year
- Editorial from the Chicago Sun-Times: Trump and Republican tax plan gives democracy a beating. Quotes Bishop Frank Dewane of Venice, Florida, who is chairman of the American Catholic bishops’ Domestic Justice and Human Development Committee.
- Michael Sean Winters has written about taxes: GOP tax reform is unproven trickle-down theory
- Congressional tax bills show power beats values
- Nothing for the working class in GOP tax plan
Open enrollment for the Health Care Marketplace ends December 15. Five health-care fights facing Congress in December
Here's some news that broke late yesterday: Offensive murals must go, say Native American Notre Dame students and others. But administration says paintings of Columbus will stay.
This article from Hawaii Catholic Herald explores the creative side of Hawaii’s religious women and men: Art and Soul
A former North Korean official says Terror-list Designation Could Cripple Pyongyang
New to NCR: Obituaries.
Visit these pages to remember and celebrate the lives of those we have recently lost.
Commentary from across the aisle: The Pope’s Fixation On Climate Change Endangers His Authority And Entrenches Poverty
Mike Barrett writes about leading childern in prayer and at liturgies: Searching for Jeusus
NCR editorial: We're on the verge of a profligate arms race
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.