This is a developing story you will only find on NCRonline.org. In Febraury the Diocese of La Crosse, Wisconsin, it was ending pension payments with lump-sum payout. Jack Ruhl, NCR's expert on diocesan finances, says he has 'never seen' pension move like La Crosse's. This story isn't over. More to come.
Jack Ruhl has dipped into diocesan records a few times for NCR, most noteably:
- In November of 2015, when he found: Costs of sex abuse crisis to US church underestimated
- In February 2015, he found serious flaws in diocesan financial management
- Ruhl was also a primary source for out 2014 story titled: How much is a bishop worth?
It has become an annual ritual: Protesting speakers at Catholic universities. Ave Maria University alumni protest Education Secretary DeVos' as graduation speaker, citing rollbacks she has made to programs aimed at protecting civil rights and the disabled.
State and federal lawmakers are pushing new restrictions in pursuit of a winning court challenge. Abortion foes seize on chance to overturn Roe
As #MeToo took off and the goal of making women safe from sexual assault became a movement, some noticed little action in the Catholic sphere. At least in the public Catholic sphere. But in quiet conversations, private Facebook pages, online forums and discreet email chains, Catholic women were discussing their experiences inside various Catholic institutions.
- Alumnae question Franciscan University of Steubenville's commitment to Title IX
- Christendom College alumni call for Title IX response to sexual assaults
- Learn more about sexual assault on campus by following this hashtag #DisHonorRoll
Remeber the Vatican's doctrinal investigatin of the Leaderhip Conference of Women Religious? In new book, former LCWR leaders reflect on years of Vatican scrutiny.
These New Jerseyans knew James Comey in high school. Hear what they have to say. "Was he perfect? No. I remember cutting CCD with him."
- Start your day inspired with daily Scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
- Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.
Looking for comments?
We've suspended comments on NCRonline.org for a while. If you missed that announcement, learn more about our decision here.