Last year, excommunicated members of the Lincoln, Nebraska chapter of Call to Action met with Lincoln Bishop James Conley in a series of dialogue sessions. These sessions have led to an agreement to have the 1996 censure lifted for individual members in a process facilitated by Conley.
On the show today:
Brian Roewe, NCR staff writer, based in Kansas City, Missouri.
- Nearly 22 years after area Catholics were excommunicated for their membership in a national church reform group, the bishop of Lincoln, Nebraska, has proposed a way to end their censure and return them to full communion with the church.
- From the archives: A year after the excommunication order, "Dueling Catholic conferences enliven Lincoln" (NCR, May 30, 1997)
- 16 years after the excommunication, the Call to Action group was still at a crossroads.
- Appreciation: Lincoln Call to Action member James McShane fought his excommunication for 17 years. He died in 2003.
- In 2014, Lincoln Call to Action member Rachel Pokora published a book of the account, Crisis of Catholic Authority: Faith and Power in the Diocese of Lincoln, Nebraska.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Enter your email address to receive free newsletters from NCR.