Chris Herlinger traveled to Haiti last year, where he met Sisters of St. John the Evangelist who run a shelter for children in danger of being trafficked. Chris also shares some updates from the United Nations, where Catholic sisters advocate for anti-trafficking laws and regulations.
Franciscan Sr. Sarah Kohles and St. Joseph Sr. Susan Francois are two of the 13 contributors to a new book written for young women contemplating vowed religious life. The book, In Our Own Words, was published Jan. 25 by Liturgical Press.
- Chris Herlinger, international correspondent for Global Sisters Report, based in New York
- Franciscan Sr. Sarah Kohles
- St. Joseph Sr. Susan Francois
- At the Haitian-Dominican border, a sister-run shelter protects children vulnerable to human trafficking.
- Mercy Sr. Jeanne Christensen talks to GSR about how anti-trafficking efforts have evolved in the United States.
- In 2013, women religious asked Pope Francis to name Feb. 8 a world day of prayer against human trafficking.
- Catholic sisters around the world work to end human trafficking and protect victims and the vulnerable.
- In a new book, 13 younger sisters write about the realities of present-day religious life.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Sign up for NCR's Copy Desk Daily, and we'll email you recommended news and opinion articles each weekday.