NCR’s Vatican correspondent Joshua McElwee talks about Pope Francis' upcoming trip to Chile and Peru. The papal trip takes place Jan. 15-21. Joshua also recaps the pope’s recent State of the World address to diplomats. Later, sociologist Michele Dillon explains the trends in a new survey of American Catholics and talks about how the data show a refreshed enthusiasm among American Catholic women.
- In an address on Jan. 8, Francis told ambassadors to "abandon familiar rhetoric" about migrants and refugees.
- Pope Francis' trip to Chile and Peru may help restore trust in the church, reports Joshua J. McElwee.
- The clergy abuse database BishopAccountability.org released new names in Chile just days before Francis' arrival.
- Watch our feature series Francis in Chile and Peru for updates as the trip progresses.
- A 2017 survey of American Catholics shows refreshed enthusiasm among women, writes Michele Dillon.
- U.S. Catholics also weighed in on the 2016 election in last year's survey.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Enter your email address to receive free newsletters from NCR.