In this episode, NCR columnist and blogger Tom Carney argues that the mystery of Christmas is drowned out by the commercial holiday. Tom talks about how to recapture the spiritual foundation of Christmas and how he celebrates the coming of Christ. Later, Soul Seeing editor Mike Leach talks about how the holiday has evolved for him with different seasons of life. He'll also share recommendations for listeners looking for some extra Christmas hope this year.
- Tom Carney on why Christians should hate Christmas.
- Tom writes every Thursday at Skeptical Faith, a blog that "is meant to show that faith and skepticism are not mutually exclusive."
- Find Christmas (and year-round) inspiration in our Soul Seeing columns.
- Here's Mike's favorite Christmas song: Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing "The Little Drummer Boy."
- This year, Mike Leach is taking his family to serve a Christmas meal at a homeless shelter. He wrote about a similar experience a couple of years ago. Hint: it's not about the food.
- A visit from (the spirit of) Frank Sinatra made for one of Mike and Vickie Leach's favorite Christmases.
- Mike recommends two Christmas books: "Starlight" by John Shea and "The True Meaning of Christmas" by Mitch Finley.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Looking for comments?
We've suspended comments on NCRonline.org for a while. If you missed that announcement, learn more about our decision here.