NCR contributor Melissa Musick Nussbaum talks about liturgical traditions that remember the dead and how Catholics can start their own traditions to remember loved ones gone before them. Later, Fr. Christopher DeGiovine reflects on the month of November as a period of remembrance. He shares inspiration from Scripture and other Catholic thinkers as well as his thoughts as a pastor on the great mystery of life after death.
- In Celebration, Fr. Christopher DeGiovine reflects on November and the "great mystery of life after death."
- Have you met our sister publication? Celebration Publications is our comprehensive pastoral resource — check out the new website!
- NCR columnist Melissa Musick Nussbaum encourages others to leave an empty chair at the table for the beloved dead.
- Melissa's book, "The Catholic Catalogue," covers feast days, seasons of the liturgical calendar, and daily Catholic acts.
- Young Voices columnist Clare Coffey agrees: Let the dead have November.
How do I listen?
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Visit National Catholic Reporter's Online Classifieds to learn about job opportunities, events, retreats and more.