This week, NCR Vatican correspondent Joshua J. McElwee talks about a recent public correction Pope Francis made to an article by Cardinal Robert Sarah. Later, Global Sisters Report national correspondent Dan Stockman talks about a treasure trove of newly available information: the vast results of a 1967 survey, answered by a majority of the country’s Catholic sisters in active ministry as they were grappling with Vatican II reform.
- Pope Francis issued a public correction to an article by Cardinal Robert Sarah about the changes the pope made last month to how the Catholic Church's liturgies are to be translated from the original Latin into local languages.
- Francis' letter to Sarah underscores his vision for a church engaged, writes Michael Sean Winters.
- Looking for more on the motu proprio? Read all about Magnum Principium here.
- We say: Francis' rollback of centralized power is, in political terms, a return to center, to moderation and to a trust of the community's local leaders.
- The results of a 1967 survey of 140,000 U.S. Catholic sisters have now been made available for anyone's research.
How do I listen?
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Work at NCR!
Seniors and recent college graduates may apply to be the next Bertelsen Editorial Intern. Learn more about this opportunity.
Join the Conversation
Send your thoughts and reactions to our online Letters to the Editor column. Learn more here