Two news items this week pointed to the arduousness of Pope Francis' efforts to reform the central administrative organs of the Holy See. Pope Francis and other Vatican officials met with officials from the Dominican Republic to discuss the ongoing investigation of Joseph Wesolowski, the former archbishop and nuncio to the Dominican Republic who was defrocked earlier this year on charges of sex abuse of minors.
Catholic sex abuse cases
Financial records for the archdiocese show a $9 million deficit in operating activities for the 2014 fiscal year and uncertainty about the costs of its sexual abuse scandal.
In light of concerns, Seattle Archbishop J. Peter Sartain is talking about revisiting archdiocesan protocols for funerals of priests removed from ministry for child sex abuse.
The move is an attempt by the pontiff to address concerns that some accused clerics were not getting an adequate opportunity to defend themselves.
A Vatican court has "definitively determined and ruled" that no allegations of sexual misconduct of any kind alleged against Msgr. Richard Loomis, a Los Angeles priest, have been proved.
The ruling was announced in a statement issued Saturday by Office of the Vicar for Clergy of the Los Angeles archdiocese.
The ruling came "after 10 years of exhaustive investigation and canonical trial," it said, adding that Loomis "has always professed his innocence."
"We are committed to transparency with the people we serve. We cannot change the past but we hope we can rebuild trust through honest and open dialogue."
Lawyers for the man, identified only as John Doe, said the archdiocese had provided false information in getting the man to agree to an $80,000 settlement in 2007.
"I hope that this resolution will bring some measure of closure and healing to anyone harmed by these priests," Archbishop Dennis Schnurr of Cincinnati said.
Fr. Mark J. Haynes was placed on administrative leave immediately after he was charged with six counts of possessing and disseminating child pornography.
Jon David Couzens said he intends to remain a voice for the protection of children even though the Missouri diocese agreed to pay him and 29 others $10 million.