National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company Inc. is looking for a proven journalist and leader to head up Global Sisters Report, an ambitious digital reporting project focused on Catholic sisters and social justice issues. The editor envisions and helps execute the flow of high-quality journalism to the GSR website and social media platforms.
The successful candidate will be a catalyst for broadening and deepening GSR’s reporting, analysis and commentary even as the project expands its international reach. The range of responsibilities is broad and includes developing goals, leading a network of talented staffers and freelancers, budgeting international travel and scheduling content. We’re looking for a strong planner and editor, a curious mind, a creative nature and a passion for storytelling. As part of the National Catholic Reporter editorial team, the GSR editor reports to and cooperates with the editor of National Catholic Reporter to integrate GSR’s work with NCR’s overall editorial mission.
- Translate GSR goals into concrete plans for engaging, meaty content across digital platforms
- Manage and mentor current staff and recruit new freelancers, especially internationally
- Be the public face of GSR, both online and at selected conferences and reporting opportunities
- Work with the GSR managing editor to develop new content and strategies for a developing project, including conceiving and executing multimedia packages
- Work with the Web developer and social media staffer to improve functionality and appeal on desktop and mobile platforms and to grow GSR’s voice and audience
- Uphold NCR’s standards for integrity and excellence
- Minimum five years’ experience as editor or managing editor, or proven ability to lead a team of journalists
- Strong writing, communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience building new content or editorial products or expanding existing ones
- Familiarity with basic Web publishing processes; knowledge of Drupal a real plus
- Firm grasp of social media platforms and communities, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.
- Knowledge of the Catholic church preferred
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send a cover letter, resumé and four to six work samples (samples of reporting or editing; links to websites or publications edited) to Dennis Coday, NCR editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the cover letter of no more than 1,000 words, briefly describe how you translate the vision for GSR to your team and work with them to generate stories that support it. If selected for an interview, applicants will be asked to provide references.