This position is responsible for overseeing national coverage for the National Catholic Reporter, working with the national correspondent, other NCR correspondents, interns/fellows and a cadre of freelance writers to cover breaking news, features and analysis about the church in the U.S. The National News Editor works with other NCR editors (executive, managing, opinion and international) to make content decisions for the entire publication, and serves on the editorial-writing team. Although the national correspondent has primary responsibility for this expansive beat, this editor can also occasionally contribute content on the U.S. Catholic Church, religion and spirituality, social trends, politics and public policy issues. This person reports directly to the executive editor.
The responsibilities are as follows:
- Maintain and expand area of expertise, in this case, the U.S. Catholic Church, religion and spirituality, social trends, politics and public policy issues; bring and continue to cultivate a network of sources, especially within institutions such as national and state bishops’ conferences, Catholic colleges and universities, parishes, Catholic think tanks and advocacy groups;
- Working with the executive editor, develop coverage plans for innovative coverage of national beat, with an emphasis on NCR’s mission of transparency and accountability and those on the margins;
- Work with national correspondent, other NCR correspondents, interns/fellows on story assignments and story ideas; commission freelance writers for articles in the national beat; review pitches in those beats;
- Review and edit manuscripts, in conjunction with other editors, as well as provide feedback on articles being considered for publication;
- Write occasional editorials in the area(s) of expertise;
- Occasionally contribute stories: Envision and execute breaking news, in-depth analysis and investigative stories for print, online publication and social media, through written content, multimedia, data journalism and alternative storytelling;
- Collaborate with EarthBeat and Global Sisters Report editors and teams;
- Occasionally post breaking news and/or wire stories, using Drupal;
- Work with production and engagement editors to expand NCR's presence on social media and with multimedia content; interact regularly on social media platforms that grow traffic and reach across generations;
- Represent the publication through speaking engagements, at conferences and through media appearances;
- Work from a home base and through pre-approved travel;
- Maintain high standards of accuracy, accountability and integrity.
- Other duties as assigned by executive editor.
The ideal candidate for this position will be able to demonstrate:
- Bachelor's degree or higher, five years of experience reporting on Catholic issues, with a known range of contacts in the field;
- A successful track record of editorial leadership;
- Knowledge of the Catholic Church, social issues and political issues;
- Experience as an assigning editor on a variety of story forms including breaking news, profiles, investigations and interactive formats;
- Capacity to achieve fluency in a content management system (NCR currently uses Drupal);
- Ability to work collegially with a geographically-dispersed staff;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Capacity to self-motivate and work both independently and as part of a team;
- Ability and willingness to travel regularly; residence in or near a major urban center a plus.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company (NCR) is a non-profit, independent, lay-led news organization that reports on the Catholic Church and wider moral issues facing the human family. It publishes the National Catholic Reporter 26 times a year in print and daily at ncronline.org. It also publishes Global Sisters Report and EarthBeat online. These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Throughout our history, NCR has been a voice for the voiceless, disadvantaged and marginalized. It has held authority, secular or religious, accountable.
Interested parties should submit a cover letter explaining their interest and describing their qualifications. Please include a resume with career history and three writing samples. Women and journalists of color are encouraged to apply.
Position carries full benefits and salary commensurate with experience. All communications will be treated confidentially. All nominations, applications and inquiries should be directed electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by Feb. 26, 2021.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in the hiring process on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, color, age, national origin/ethnicity or religion.