Search is closing on September 29.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company, the nation's premier, fully independent, lay-run, non-profit Catholic news organization, seeks a proven and inspirational leader as its next Publisher/CEO. This person is charged with leading the company, managing a $5 million budget and ensuring NCR's long-term sustainability. The Publisher/CEO reports to NCR's lay-led Board of Directors.
National Catholic Reporter was founded in 1964, amid the reforms of the Second Vatican Council, to apply the tools of professional journalism to the Catholic Church. The publishing company prides itself on its independent status and its consequent ability -- and duty -- to go where other Catholic news sources cannot.
We publish the National Catholic Reporter daily online at NCRonline.org and in print every other week. We also publish Global Sisters Report, a source of news and information about Catholic sisters and the critical issues facing the people they serve; and EarthBeat, which covers stories about the climate crisis, faith and action.
These publications are committed to shaping a world that recognizes the sacredness and dignity of every human being, regardless of religious belief, gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation. Throughout its history, NCR has been a voice for the unheard, the silenced and the marginalized. It has held all authority, secular or religious, accountable.
- Model generous, effective and inspirational leadership for the entire company.
- Directly manage seven employees, including: the executive editor of National Catholic Reporter and the editor of Global Sisters Report; and the publishing company's general manager, chief financial officer, major gifts director, development operations director and the human resources and administrative manager.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors and foundations who can support and ensure the long-term success of NCR's mission with donations, endowments and legacy gifts.
- Safeguard the company's reputation as a professional and fair journalistic enterprise, in coordination with publication editors.
- Develop new audiences for all three NCR publications, with a special focus on attracting younger readers and supporters.
- Strengthen company's commitment to Catholic social teaching and principles of diversity, inclusion and equity.
- Collaborate with the company's Board of Directors to refine and implement strategic planning while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned with NCR's core mission. Ensure open communication with the Board about the measurement of financial, programmatic, and impact performance.
- If the Publisher/CEO does not choose to use NCR's Kansas City headquarters as their primary work location, they would be expected to travel there on an occasional basis.
- Significant senior management and leadership experience in journalistic, non-profit and/or philanthropic enterprises.
- Demonstrated track record of substantial fundraising success for mission-driven/value-oriented causes.
- Experience leading digital media operations, especially in driving revenue growth across existing and new lines of business.
- Strong, demonstrated sense of professional and/or journalistic ethics.
- Fluency in U.S. and international Catholic issues and the trends in church leadership and life since Vatican II.
- Thorough understanding of the distinctive role of NCR as an independent producer of journalism about the church, the values it stands for and the people it serves.
NCR provides competitive compensation and benefits, including health insurance and a 403(b) retirement plan.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume, including 2-3 professional references, to email@example.com by Monday Sept. 26, 2022. Women, people of color and LGBTQ persons are encouraged to apply.
National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees. Reasonable accommodations or exemption will be considered for medical-related or sincerely held religious objections.
Download the Publisher/CEO job description.
The National Catholic Reporter Publishing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate in the hiring process on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, color, age, national origin/ethnicity or religion.