Editor's note: NCR is sharing with our readers a nine-day Novena for Pentecost resource created by board member and composer Dan Schutte. Schutte writes, "if there's ever a moment when we all could use the light and wisdom of the Holy Spirit, it's now. While we wait till we can be together again for Sunday worship, this is a way we can join our hearts in prayer." The entire Novena for Pentecost can be found here.
We pray for kindness
Four suggested steps:
- Place yourself in the presence of God.
- Close your eyes. Take some slow, deep breaths. Imagine that you are enveloped by the unconditional love of God.
- Ask for the grace you desire today.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit may teach you how to place yourself in another's shoes, to understand their hearts so that you may respond to them with kindness and compassion.
- Spend time in prayer and with the song.
- Pray as you feel drawn, either sitting in silence or listening to the song. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Distractions are normal for all of us. God smiles on our small efforts without judgement or shame.
- Pray in gratitude.
- In your own words, express a simple prayer of thanks to God.
How can I repay
Some people just seem better equipped temperamentally to be kind. But we can work at it too. Kindness is at work in us when we're able to see behind people's behavior and empathize with their struggles. It takes a willingness to step out of our own shoes and into those of another. When we see those true acts of undeserved kindness, it takes our breath away.