Editor's note: NCR is sharing with our readers a nine-day Novena for Pentecost resource created by board member and composer Dan Schutte. Schutte writes, "if there's ever a moment when we all could use the light and wisdom of the Holy Spirit, it's now. While we wait till we can be together again for Sunday worship, this is a way we can join our hearts in prayer." The entire Novena for Pentecost can be found here.
We pray for faithfulness
Four suggested steps:
- Place yourself in the presence of God.
- Close your eyes. Take some slow, deep breaths. Imagine that you are enveloped by the unconditional love of God.
- Ask for the grace you desire today.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit may help you grow in the virtue of faithfulness, to stand firm in your desire for God and not be swayed by the winds of time or become discouraged.
- Spend time in prayer and with the song.
- Pray as you feel drawn, either sitting in silence or listening to the song. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Distractions are normal for all of us. God smiles on our small efforts without judgement or shame.
- Pray in gratitude.
- In your own words, express a simple prayer of thanks to God.
I found the treasure
It seems to me that a truly faithful person is one who stands firmly in God's corner and isn't swayed by the winds of time. To be faithful requires a certain degree of detachment because sometimes we're asked to give up our own plans, our own security, to follow faithfully on the path where God leads.
Enter your email address to receive free newsletters from NCR.