Editor's note: NCR is sharing with our readers a nine-day Novena for Pentecost resource created by board member and composer Dan Schutte. Schutte writes, "if there's ever a moment when we all could use the light and wisdom of the Holy Spirit, it's now. While we wait till we can be together again for Sunday worship, this is a way we can join our hearts in prayer." The entire Novena for Pentecost can be found here.
We pray for peace
Four suggested steps:
- Place yourself in the presence of God.
- Close your eyes. Take some slow, deep breaths. Imagine that you are enveloped by the unconditional love of God.
- Ask for the grace you desire today.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit may ground your heart in peace, that you may know the peace that only God can give so that you might inspire peace to your own corner of the world.
- Spend time in prayer and with the song.
- Pray as you feel drawn, either sitting in silence or listening to the song. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Distractions are normal for all of us. God smiles on our small efforts without judgement or shame.
- Pray in gratitude.
- In your own words, express a simple prayer of thanks to God.
Litany of peace
The peace we pray for today is not about the absence of turmoil or anxiety. It is truly that peace that the world cannot give and it comes from knowing deep in our heart of hearts that our God is always with us. It comes from our being grounded in a faith that we may not always understand, yet a faith that dares to make the journey with the Spirit of Jesus as our constant companion.
Enter your email address to receive free newsletters from NCR.