Editor's note: NCR is sharing with our readers a nine-day Novena for Pentecost resource created by board member and composer Dan Schutte. Schutte writes, "if there's ever a moment when we all could use the light and wisdom of the Holy Spirit, it's now. While we wait till we can be together again for Sunday worship, this is a way we can join our hearts in prayer." The entire Novena for Pentecost can be found here.
We pray for joy
Four suggested steps:
- Place yourself in the presence of God.
- Close your eyes. Take some slow, deep breaths. Imagine that you are enveloped by the unconditional love of God.
- Ask for the grace you desire today.
- Pray that the Holy Spirit may bless you with that deep and quiet joy that's been promised us by Jesus, a joy that grounds your life through challenging times.
- Spend time in prayer and with the song.
- Pray as you feel drawn, either sitting in silence or listening to the song. There is no right or wrong way to do it. Distractions are normal for all of us. God smiles on our small efforts without judgement or shame.
- Pray in gratitude.
- In your own words, express a simple prayer of thanks to God.
O God, be the music
Our joy as disciples of Jesus is grounded not on the circumstances of our lives, but rather on the reality that we are the beloved of God. Jesus of Nazareth promised that he would never leave his followers alone. He would breathe his own Spirit into each of us so that he would always be as close to us as we are to the very breath that sustains us.
Enter your email address to receive free newsletters from NCR.