Start Date: April, 2023
Permanent, Full-Time In-Person, Based in D.C.| Salary Range $95,000-$105,000 plus generous benefits
About NETWORK: Founded by Catholic Sisters in 1972, in the spirit of the Second Vatican Council, NETWORK is an inclusive, national, Catholic advocacy organization open to all who share our values, working to achieve equity and justice for everyone. Grounded in Gospel values and the Catholic social justice tradition, NETWORK transforms our society by shaping federal policies that achieve racial, economic, and social justice; serve the common good; and honor the dignity of all. We value women’s leadership, we appreciate people from religious and secular backgrounds, we affirm members of the LGBTQ+ community, and we engage in the ongoing work to become a multicultural, anti-racist organization.
Why this position matters: This position develops and disseminates the ‘voice’ and messaging for the organization. As such, NETWORK is seeking a Communications Director who is grounded in the Catholic social justice tradition, is a creative thinker and who can lead organizational communications and effective media strategy. The NETWORK Communications Director is an experienced communications professional who has developed and executed high-level messaging and strategic internal and external materials. This person is an excellent listener and organized implementer who can integrate the organization’s mission and foundational principles into all areas of communication and who can successfully manage a team of communications professionals. The person we seek is grounded in Catholic theology, understands NETWORK’s legacy of women religious and is a strong team player who is committed to successfully advancing NETWORK's mission, vision and goals.
You could be our next Communications Director if you have:
• 7-10 years of progressive professional experience in leadership and communications
• Master’s degree with additional education / formation grounded in Catholic theology, tradition and social teaching
• A commitment to the principles of Catholic Social Teaching and dedicated to creating a multi-cultural, anti-racist organization
• Familiarity with faith-based organizations, advocacy organizations and women’s religious congregations
• Ability to shape communication strategies, effectively collaborate and be successful in cross team implementation
• Ability to work under pressure, work independently and on a team, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects
• Unquestionable personal and professional integrity, unwavering commitment to equity, and a growth mindset
• A high level of organizational skills with emotional intelligence
• Multi-lingual a plus
What You’ll Be Doing:
• Serve as Communications Strategist
Oversee and manage the development of all strategic communications and messaging for the organization
Support organizational Leadership in managing and delivering public messaging and comments
Respond to crises or challenging situations quickly and professionally
Work with all forms of media, including press releases, digital campaigns, print materials, social media, audio and video, etc.
Develop relationships and work with external media outlets as well as other communications professionals and organizations
• Lead the Communications Team
Serve as Team Lead for the Communications Team, providing leadership for the team, ensuring team collaboration and communication with each other and all NETWORK staff
Collaborate in the development of NETWORK’s policy agenda and participate in organizational activities (development, planning, evaluation)
Supervise team including handling all personnel issues, managing work load, conducting regular individual performance review and coaching sessions
Collaborate in the development of NETWORK’s policy agenda, and participates in organizational activities: planning, evaluation, development
• Responsible for organizational policy messaging and strategy
Oversee development and use of organizational branding as well as ensure consistent use of organizational style guide for internal and external messaging
Support policy, field, and fundraising efforts to ensure communications are high-quality and messaging is accurate, on-brand, timely and informative
• Oversees communication and promotional aspects of organizational campaigns, events, and initiatives
Supervises and assists in the development of speeches, op-eds, talking points, blog posts, press releases, and the management of social media and digital outreach
Provide quality control for print and digital materials
Establishes NETWORK as a "go-to" for Capitol Hill press events, builds relationships with Members of Congress and their Communications staff, and coordinates joint messaging opportunities.
• Rapidly responds to relevant news of the day in faith and political life.
Leads the strategies and tools to ensure that NETWORK (leadership team, staff, board, and field) is featured in the news, social media and other outlets as a key faith constituency working to promote racial and economic justice.
Establishes, enacts, and evaluates a proactive media plan—to increase proactive engagement with reporters as well as reactive response; builds strategic relationships with media representatives, including cultivating, nourishing, and evaluating those relationships.
Provides ideas and insight on the effect the organization's actions and legislative activities have in the media, strategizes about what actions and campaigns will attract press attention, and integrates press/messaging strategies into NETWORK campaigns and major projects
Promotes and supports grassroots voices in local media via op-ed/LTE strategies and cultivating additional spokespeople for NETWORK.
Ensures NETWORK message and brand is consistent across the organization and communicated clearly, strategically, and well to external audiences.
• Generous time off: Two weeks paid vacation in each of first two years, in addition to Thanksgiving Week off, Christmas Week off, plus 10 additional holidays
• Platinum level health plan – as well as dental and vision – at no cost to you
• Generous retirement plan and parental leave after one year
• Intentional Staff Community Days that focus on an organizational commitment to professional development and wellness