The release of the 6,000 pages of past allegations, reports and procedures is part of a 2008 settlement between the archdiocese and alleged victims.
For the first time in the decades-long church sex abuse scandal, senior Vatican officials last week appeared before an independent outside body charged with holding it responsible for protecting children.
They took a grilling in Geneva by the U.N.'s Committee on the Rights of the Child for the Vatican's alleged failure to abide by terms of the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child.
The Vatican has long insisted it isn't responsible for abusive priests because they aren't employees of the Vatican, and they repeated the excuse last Thursday.
Francis Chronicles: Priests, bishops and lay Catholics who cause scandal are living lives cut off from God, and their corruption ends up poisoning others, Pope Francis said.
John Allen in Rome: A senior Vatican official today asserted that the Catholic church wants to be "an example of best practice" in the prevention of abuse.
Cardinal Francis George in two letters took a defensive stance on his handling of the issue and said he wants to "put on the public record" facts about the cases.
Australian survivors of clerical sexual abuse have been complaining for years about their dissatisfaction with Towards Healing, the Catholic church's national protocol for responding to abuse.
We say: For her efforts to shed the light on clergy sex abuse, Jennifer Haselberger is NCR's person of the year for 2013.
This week’s court decision that freed a senior cleric in Philadelphia who had been jailed for shielding an abusive priest was a symbolic setback for victims’ advocates.
Top leaders of Regnum Christi knew that Fr. Marcial Maciel Degollado had a grown daughter, but concealed the information from the members at least three years.
Following "appropriate diplomatic channels," the Vatican's nuncio to Australia on Dec. 6 turned over requested documents to a state sex abuse commission.