Yesterday was the First Sunday in Advent. This season, NCR is joining with our sister publications, Celebration and Global Sisters Report to share Advent resources. Whether you're looking for Scripture study, some meditative reflections or an inspiring read, check out Our Celebration of Advent page.
Pope Francis wrapped up his trip to Myanmar Saturday. Here's the news in case you missed it:
- Francis did not to publicly refer to the persecuted Rohingya Muslim minority while traveling in Myanmar, but he also says 'I did not negotiate with the truth' with Myanmar general
- Aboard the papal flight from Bangladesh - Pope Francis said it is his "convinced opinion" that the world is "at the limit of licitly having and using nuclear weapons."
- Dhaka, Bangladesh -- Francis tells the world: 'The presence of God today is called Rohingya'
This week, we celebrate the first anniversary of the launch of our podcast, NCR in Conversation. Catch the latest episode here.
What do you want to know about the Republican Tax plan?
- Highlights: Winners And Losers Of The Senate Tax Bill
- Education could suffer: A Tax Plan that Hurts Education Will Hurt U.S. Competitiveness
- Congressional Republicans are about to pass, and President Donald Trump is about to sign, a tax bill that violates Trump's campaign promises, does little for the middle class, ignores decades of party orthodoxy on tax cuts, and is unpopular with voters. Why Republicans Cherish Their Unloved Tax Cut
- What about the economic stimulus? Several decades of evidence lends little to the idea that lower taxes boost investment in a meaningful way.
President Donald Trump did two big things on Monday morning before jetting off to Utah to announce he is shrinking two national monuments. 1) He tweeted a full-scale endorsement of Roy Moore's Senate campaign in Alabama. 2) He offered sympathy for his former national security adviser Michael Flynn. This illustrates how his presidency is a sort of bizarro version of every other presidency that has come before it.
Maine’s Catholic bishop shocks parishioners with details of priest’s affair with employee. Retired pastor and former parish administrator living together in Texas.
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.
Just $5 a month supports NCR's independent Catholic journalism.
We are committed to keeping our online journalism open and available to as many readers as possible. To do that, we need your help. Join NCR Forward, our new membership program.
Looking for comments?
We've suspended comments on NCRonline.org for a while. If you missed that announcement, learn more about our decision here.