New cardinals announced:
- Pope chooses new cardinals from Africa, Asia, Latin America by Joshua J. McElwee
- Francis uses red hats to offer lesson on global church by John L. Allen Jr.
- Philippine cardinal architect of Asian pastoral churches by Thomas C. Fox
- Cardinals: continuity and change by Jesuit Fr. Thomas Reese
- United Kingdom -- Nichols has been elevated to an office that should have long ago been scrapped by Michael Walsh
- Seoul -- South Korea's newly appointed cardinal, Andrew Yeom Soo-jung, vows efforts to realize Pope Francis' vision of a church serving the poor.
Vatican to Polish prosecutor: We don’t extradite. Vatican says former ambassador to the Dominican Republic, under investigation for alleged sex abuse, is covered by diplomatic immunity.
St. Cloud, Minn. -- St. John’s Abbey monk wants to retroactively plead the Fifth Amendment to questions he already has answered in a deposition
Vatican City -- Pope, in nod to conservatives, calls abortion "horrific" in his yearly address to diplomats accredited to the Vatican, a speech known as his "State of the World" address.
Commentary -- The minimum wage: Why bishops should not talk about economics
Buffalo, N.Y. -- Activists organize 'flash mobs' for Sunday Masses
Australia -- After one year of operation, sex abuse victims say they pleased with progress of the child sexual abuse royal commission
Pencil Preaching is blog that Celebration editor Pat Marrin combines scripture and sketching to reflect on the word.
Daily Bread is a series short reflections, written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings. Daily Bread is intended to help daily preachers and others who pray from the assigned scriptures each day to orient themselves to the Living Word addressed to the church in the world. It's a great way to begin the day.