In this live conversation, NCR executive editor Heidi Schlumpf spoke with Vatican correspondent Joshua J. McElwee and abuse survivor Juan Carlos Cruz about the newly released Vatican report on former cardinal Theodore McCarrick and how the church might move forward with healing and transparency. For more on the report, we suggest reading the following:
- In his initial report, Josh wrote that the Vatican's explosive McCarrick report largely places blame on John Paul II.
- If you'd like to read the report in full, you can find it here. We have compiled some aids that may be useful resources, including a timeline of events and a roster of likely figures involved.
- Josh has reported on Pope Francis' 2019 mandate for reporting clergy sexual abuse. The new norms were contained in a brief apostolic letter titled Vos estis lux mundi ("You are the light of the world").
- For a comprehensive list of the Vatican's response to the abuse of minors, this list contains pontifical documents, statements and other significant reports.
- Read all of NCR's coverage of the McCarrick report as we continue to analyze and report on this significant document.