Here's what's happening on NCR's website today:
- It's official! Pope Francis recognizes Oscar Romero as a martyr, beatification expected
- Robert Mickens' latest: George Weigel, "60 Minutes," and nonsense
- Pontifical Council to consider the challenges that women face in society, church
- Catholic Whistleblowers documentary set for NYC debut Thursday
- Franciscan priest to appear on Oprah Winfrey's "Super Soul Sunday"
International news from around the web:
- India police rescue hundreds of child slaves
- China tells U.S. its against Obama meeting with Dalai Lama
- Chile's president proposes end to total abortion ban
- Romanian mountain ice church attracts all kinds of Christians
- New Dehli archbishop condemns alleged vandalism of church
- Niger archbishop determined to renew friendly ties with Muslims
- Russian paper, Pope Francis, and Eritrean priest among Nobel Peace nominees
- Year of Consecrated Life: Pope Francis and the hidden path to holiness
National news from around the web:
- Miami archbishop revs up for motorcycle run
- Kansas City, Kan., archbishop to repeat call for death penalty repeal
- Twin Cities archdiocese puts a number on its wealth: $45.2 million
- Protestors confront parishioners over Serra canonization
- Swastikas sprayed on Jewish fraternity building near California college campus
- New England Patriots swear that a pastor's embrace powered their success
- Commentary: God and the GOP
- Opinion: Mike Huckabee's Christian Sharia law
- Opinion: Onward Christian healthcare.
Looking for a little inspiration to begin your day? NCR's sister publication, Celebration, gives you two options, both based on the Scripture readings of the day:
Pencil Preaching is blog in which Celebration editor Pat Marrin combines Scripture and sketching to reflect on the Word.
Daily Bread is a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings. Daily Bread is intended to help daily preachers and others who pray from the assigned Scriptures each day to orient themselves to the Living Word addressed to the church in the world. It's a great way to begin the day.