In the run-up to the Synod of Bishops on young people in October, there has been plenty of talk about young Catholics and their connections — or lack of connections — to the Catholic faith.
One national ministry has had massive success reaching out to college-age Catholics: the Fellowship of Catholic University Students, or FOCUS.
On the show today:
- Heidi Schlumpf, NCR national correspondent based in Chicago
- Kevin Ahern, assistant professor of religious studies at Manhattan College and editor of the forthcoming God's Quad: Small Faith Communities on Campus and Beyond
- Part One: The Fellowship of Catholic University Students (FOCUS) is "in a war for the hearts, minds and souls of a generation."
- Part Two: FOCUS' financial model of ministry sponsorship has helped the organization achieve extraordinary financial success and facilitated massive growth in its 20-year history.
- Part Three: Through a model called "spiritual multiplication," FOCUS sees itself as a vital tool of the "new evangelization" as it prepares to take its campus ministry to parishes.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Looking for comments?
We've suspended comments on NCRonline.org for a while. If you missed that announcement, learn more about our decision here.