This week's episode starts with a segment from the Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice. Nearly 2,000 Jesuit-educated high school and college students traveled to Washington, D.C., last week to attend social justice-oriented sessions and hear from keynote speakers including Fr. Bryan Massingale and Sr. Patricia Chappell, a Sister of Notre Dame de Namur. Students went to Capitol Hill on Monday to meet with legislators and advocate on behalf of the marginalized. Some of these students spoke to NCR about what brought them to the Teach-In and what they’re taking back to their schools.
Later, NCR national correspondent Heidi Schlumpf and columnist Michael Sean Winters talk about the upcoming meeting of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops in Baltimore. They explain what to expect from addresses and elections and give some background on the conference and its importance to U.S. Catholic leadership.
- Speakers at the Teach-In prompted young adults to help heal injustices and the sin of racism.
- The Ignatian Family Teach-In for Justice is the largest annual Catholic social justice gathering in the United States.
- NCR's Heidi Schlumpf reports on the upcoming elections at the USCCB annual meeting next week.
- Differences over the church's role in U.S. culture persist in bishops' conference, writes Michael Sean Winters.
- Also from Winters: The agenda on the upcoming bishops' meeting is thin, missing the opportunity for meaningful conversation.
How do I listen?
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Work at NCR!
Seniors and recent college graduates may apply to be the next Bertelsen Editorial Intern. Learn more about this opportunity.
Join the Conversation
Send your thoughts and reactions to our online Letters to the Editor column. Learn more here