This New York Times headline pretty much says it all: North Korea Hits New Level of Brinkmanship in Reacting to Trump
- Kim Jong Un says 'mentally deranged' Trump will 'pay dearly' for threat against North Korea
- After threatening to "totally destroy" North Korea if it uses its nuclear weaponry against U.S. territory or allies, Trump announces new sanctions against North Korea, but China's role remains key
- And in related news: Fact-checking Donald Trump's United Nations speech
Phyllis Zagano column anticipates World Food Day next month: Foods laden with sugar, salt and fat spread worldwide
Michael Sean Winters reviews Disarming Beauty, a book by Spanish Fr. Julián Carrón, leader the Communion and Liberation movement
Editor's Pick of the Week: The hidden world of addiction and recovery among women religious
You gotta wonder if 30 years from know, this period will be remembered as When the Republicans finally lost touch with America:
- Latest Obamacare Repeal Effort Is Most Far-Reaching
- The disastrous impact of the GOP's Obamacare repeal plan, in three devastating charts
- Trump aides ‘aren’t sure’ about real-world impact of repeal bill
And let's not forget the most vulnerable of all: Catholic poverty advocates fear children's insurance program could be cancelled
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.