Salvadoran Archbishop Óscar Romero will be made a saint on Sunday, along with Pope Paul VI, Fr. Francesco Spinelli, Fr. Vincenzo Romano, Mother Catherine Kasper, Nunzio Sulprizio and Nazaria Ignacia March Mesa.
On the show today:
- Pat Marrin, NCR cartoonist and retired editor of Celebration Publications
- Dan Stockman, national correspondent for Global Sisters Report
- In a recent editorial, we say that Archbishop Óscar Romero and Pope Paul VI are dangerous saints for desperate times.
- Conventional wisdom has it that Romero was dramatically transformed into a defender of the oppressed when his friend Jesuit Fr. Rutilio Grande was killed. Conventional wisdom is gravely mistaken, writes Gene Palumbo.
- Visit NCR's Memories of Romero series to follow the canonization this weekend.
- For Global Sisters Report, Dan Stockman spoke with the leaders of the Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ about Blessed Catherine Kasper's life, legacy and upcoming sainthood.
- It is fitting that Pope Francis will canonize Nunzio Sulprizio during the Synod on Youth, writes Mark Piper. Even in his brief life, Sulprizio was a credible witness to suffering, accompaniment and the joy of the Gospel.
Sign up for NCR's Copy Desk Daily, and we'll email you recommended news and opinion articles each weekday.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here's the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.