Global Sisters Report international correspondent Chris Herlinger traveled to South Sudan earlier this year to report on the church’s efforts to provide aid and minister to citizens in the war-torn country. Today on the show, he talks about reporting in difficult locations and how sisters and priests deal with trauma as they’re ministering to people also processing traumatic experiences. Later, Young Voices columnist Mike Jordan Laskey talks about this year’s short Advent calendar and how to make the most of this overlooked season of waiting and preparation.
- South Sudan's religious are serving in the midst of an ongoing humanitarian crisis and civil war. They know the need for quiet, solidarity and renewal.
- Q & A with Sr. Barbara Paleczny, helping South Sudanese overcome trauma
- In Wau, South Sudan, a cathedral compound shelters internally displaced persons.
- Chris shares his reporter's notebook from South Sudan, a place of extremes, adaptation and hope.
- Sisters practice a ministry of presence around the world: 'Accompaniment' spiritually underpins sisters' missions in Haiti
- A busy Catholic's guide to Advent: Mike Jordan Laskey shares 10 tips for observing the season.
- Looking for Scripture study, some meditative reflections or an inspiring read? Check out our Celebration of Advent page.
How do I listen?
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Explore this NCR special report with recent articles on the topic of immigration and family separation.
Looking for comments?
We've suspended comments on NCRonline.org for a while. If you missed that announcement, learn more about our decision here.