Today, Sr. Linda Romey talks about how “bad theology” perpetuates gender inequality and the role that women religious play in this #MeToo moment. Later, NCR columnist Jamie Manson and film critic Sr. Rose Pacatte talk about the dangers of unchecked power in any system and what they envision happening next in Hollywood and the Catholic Church.
- Women religious have a role to play in this social movement, writes Sr. Linda Romey.
- Whether it's Hollywood or the Vatican, the patriarchy gives men license to abuse. Jamie Manson writes that we have to continue to chip away at the root of the problem.
- Sr. Christine Schenk writes: Reflecting on #MeToo: An open letter to our daughters
- In Hollywood, Anita Hill shared her wisdom about sexual violence.
- A Catholic take: A new guardian angel protects us as we share #MeToo survivor stories
- Silence on sexual violence makes church leaders complicit, say victim advocates.
- Female evangelical leaders are calling on the church to speak out on violence against women, saying that #SilenceIsNotSpiritual.
- Phyllis Zagano: #MeToo brings to light the scope of sexual assault and victims' suffering
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.