Of course the top news of the day is: US cardinal asserts unity with pope after former doctrine chief questions Francis. "Of course, we're loyal," US bishops' conference president asserts.
A Nation Under Trump: This week NCR takes a closer look:
- Trump has put anti-immigrant campaign promises into action
- The international community learns to do without U.S. leadership: The Trump presidency and Europe's dilemma
- Michael Sean Winters asks What has the GOP learned since Trump's election?
Read the full series here: A Nation Under Trump
Work at NCR!
Seniors and recent college graduates may apply to be the next Bertelsen Editorial Intern. Learn more about this opportunity.
John Gehring on the Virginia governor's race: A Campaign of Fear & Division in Virginia Ed Gillespie Needs to Remember His Catholic Roots
Contraception: The Topic that Won't Go Away.
- Under the Golden Dome: Notre Dame takes advantage of Trump rule, drops birth control coverage
- Lawsuit targets Trump's rollback of birth-control rule
- Did you see this story from NCR: Contraception mandate: women's health or religious liberty issue?
- Some commentary: Expanding exemptions on contraception mandate nothing to celebrate
- More Commentary: Ending birth control coverage, Notre Dame abandons its progressive legacy on women's rights
The latest news on active nonviolence includes a demand to improve hygiene resources in Los Angeles' skid row, and faith communities' prayer, action and sanctuary for immigrants. Read NCR's Justice Action Bulletin.
Pope Francis admits he falls asleep sometimes while praying "There is Psalm 129 … that says that I am before God like a child in the arms of his father," he said. "This is one of the many ways in which the name of God becomes sanctified — feeling like a child in his arms."
Cardinal DiNardo has unruly theologians to worry about, but at least he can celebrate: Houston Astros win the first World Series championship in franchise history by romping past the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-1 in Game 7.
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.
Join the Conversation
Send your thoughts and reactions to our online Letters to the Editor column. Learn more here