Catholic bishops' conferences in Georgia, Florida and Texas have chosen not to take positions on "election integrity" bills that their states' GOP-controlled legislatures have passed to impose new voting restrictions. NCR readers respond to our reporting on this issue below. The letters have been edited for length and clarity.
Thank you to Brian Fraga for his insightful article on the silence of our bishops on newly enacted voting restrictions in Georgia, et al. due to false accusations of fraud occurring in the 2020 election.
I don't understand why the bishops can remain silent on such a big issue. Thankfully, we have our Catholic nuns who are not afraid to take a stand.
Where are our bishops who advocated for social justice? Lost in their only issue of importance — birth control and abortion. Very disappointing.
The indifference of our bishops to the reactionary right-wing campaign against democratic rights here in the U.S. stands in stark contrast to their support for "democracy" (ie. the restoration of U.S. dominance) in revolutionary Cuba.
Hamburg, New York
For a man and woman to get married in a Catholic Church, they must supply among other things proof they were baptized.
Get it? Proof to do something is always required, except to vote.
Lake Luzerne, New York
Join the Conversation
Send your thoughts and ideas, reactions and responses to email@example.com. The editor will collect them, curate them and publish a sampling in Letters to the Editor online or in our print edition.
We cannot publish everything. We will do our best to represent the full range of letters received. Here are the rules:
- Letters to the editor should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letters to the editor should be limited to 250 words.
- Letters must include your name, street address, city, state and zip code. We will publish your name and city, state, but not your full address.
- If the letter refers to a specific article published at ncronline.org, please send in the headline or the link of the article.
- Please include a daytime telephone number where we can reach you. We will not publish your phone number. It may be used for verification.
- We can't guarantee publication of all letters, but you can be assured that your submission will receive careful consideration.
- Published letters may be edited for length and style.
- Letters containing misinformation or misleading content without correct sourcing will not be published.