Wassup on heath care? Senate hearings to begin next month.
- Five governors to testify at hearing on bipartisan healthcare bill Sept. 7
- McConnell’s Kentucky Loses Big If Repeal Revives. Will He Keep Trying?
- Trump whiplash extends to his Obamacare attacks, too
At a recent town hall meeting broadcast on CNN, Sinsinawa Dominican Sr. Erica Jordan got to ask Speaker Paul Ryan how his policies match up to Catholic social teaching. Read Global Sisters Report's Q&A with Sr. Jordan.
Honduras: The legacy of a military coup that toppled a democratic government eight years ago is ever present today: spiraling high-level corruption, endemic poverty, high crime rates, state repression, terror and targeted assassinations of environmentalists, indigenous leaders and journalists.
Michael Sean Winters says: Trump's Phoenix rally shows how his entire approach to politics is at odds with the approach church teaching calls for. The differences are foundational.
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania -- A federal judge ruled Aug. 23 that the Adorers of the Blood of Christ must give a pipeline company immediate access to their land.
Bishops in other lands, mix it up politically
- Zimbabwe -- Catholic bishops say 'it's a sin not to vote,' urge people to eject ruling party
- India -- A delegation of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of India met with newly elected President Shri Ram Nath Kovind
- Australia will conduct a postal plebiscite on the question of marriage equality beginning next month. (Details here.) Catholic Bishop says each parishioner must decide for themselves on same-sex marriage Bishop McKenna said he was more concerned about an assisted dying bill in the state parliament.
Hartford, Connecticut -- Parishes Challenging Archdiocesan Merger, Closure Plan
One victory in a long campaign: Social media campaigns help lead to execution stay in Missouri
Denver Catholic Charities opens 100-bed shelter for homeless women (Read down the column about halfway to get to the Catholic stuff.)
I'll leave you with a good summertime read (no church news or politics): A pair of college students from Washington DC toured 25 cities in 28 days as interns with Amtrak.
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.
Enter your email address to receive free newsletters from NCR.