Worrisome News of the Day: The U.S. Air Force is preparing for nuclear armed B-52 bombers to be put back on 24-hour alert for the first time in 25 years as tensions rise between North Korea and President Donald Trump. "This is yet one more step in ensuring that we’re prepared," says General David Goldfein, Air Force chief of staff.
Most Interesting News of the Day: Liturgical translations not to be 'imposed' from Vatican Pope Francis corrects Cardinal Sarah.
In Case You Missed It (ICYMI): Gregory Baum, influential theologian of Vatican II era, dies at 94
Bong Sarmiento, the Philippines -- Catholics in war-torn province join protests against the discrimination of Muslim women who wear the niqab. Soldiers are reportedly forcing Muslim women to remove their niqab to check their identity.
Two environmental stories from Global Sisters Report:
- Using solar energy in sub-Saharan Africa: If only progress moved faster
- Greening the motherhouse requires big investments and changing habits
File this under "Undermining" and "Dismantling": E.P.A. Cancels Talk on Climate Change by Agency Scientists
Al Smith dinner rakes in $3.4M for New York Catholic charities House Speaker Paul Ryan drew about half the crowd as last year's dinner -- when then presidential candidates Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton were a huge draw -- but sponsorship was more abundant.
The L.A. Times is closely following the sexual harrassment story in Hollywood. Some of their latest reporting:
- 38 women have come forward to accuse director James Toback of sexual harassment
- How Harvey Weinstein used his fashion business as a pipeline to models
- Bill O'Reilly reportedly paid $32-million harassment settlement before signing new Fox News contract
- #metoo: Everyone is outraged over sexual harassment, but will this moment bring real change?
- More about the #metoo movement
Notes from the Field is a blog written by young people volunteering in ministries of Catholic sisters. Janie Rosko is a Humility of Mary volunteer serving with the Ursuline Ministries in Youngstown, Ohio. This is Janie's first blog post. Working on being worthy to be considered role models
Start your day inspired with daily scripture reflections. Join NCR's sister publication, Celebration, for Daily Bread, a series of short reflections written by four authors who meet regularly to share the readings.
Or reflect on Pencil Preaching by Pat Marrin. Every morning Pat Marrin breaks open the Word with a pencil sketch and a short meditation.