NCR's Tom Roberts and David Gibson of Fordham University discuss an unsettling pattern of Catholic writers and scholars being disinvited from speaking engagements and adjunct positions due to intimidation from far-right Catholic groups.
- We say: The Catholic Church needs civil conversation, not censorship.
- Fr. Jim Martin was uninvited from a speaking engagement at the CUA seminary.
- Pressure led Madonna University to cancel a talk by theologian M. Shawn Copeland.
- Rebecca Bratten Weiss, co-founder of the 'New Pro-Life Movement,' lost her job after being attacked online.
- Don't cave to bullies, CUA alumni say after the seminary cancels Martin's appearance.
- Cardinal Cupich extended an invite to Jim Martin to speak in Chicago amid cancellations.
- The CDF is notably silent under Pope Francis, reports Josh McElwee.
How do I listen?
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you’re reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.