On April 9, the Vatican announced the release of a new papal document titled Gaudete et Exsultate, ("Rejoice and Be Glad!"). The apostolic exhortation is the third of Pope Francis' papacy and the fifth major teaching document he has published in five years.
On the show today:
- NCR Vatican correspondent Joshua J. McElwee
- Brian Flanagan, associate professor of theology at Marymount University in Arlington, Virginia. He is the author of Stumbling in Holiness: Sin and Sanctity in the Church, to be published this September by Liturgical Press, and a contributor to the blog www.dailytheology.org. You can find him on Twitter at @BrianPFlanagan.
- Joshua J. McElwee reports that the document is a call to become holy by serving others, especially migrants.
- In Gaudete et Exsultate, Francis puts the "exhort" back into exhortation in one long, incisive effort to urge Christians on, says Michael Sean Winters.
- In the document, Francis is calling us on a journey of 'small holiness,' writes Brian Flanagan.
- NCR's Jamie Manson asks: Should women rejoice over Gaudete et Exsultate?
- Cardinal Blase Cupich and others have praised Gaudete et Exsultate for addressing spiritual hunger and providing practical help for parishes.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.