Pope Francis was elected to the papacy five years ago on March 13, 2013.
On the show today:
- Joshua J. McElwee, who covers the Vatican for NCR
- Michael Sean Winters, writing for NCR on the nexus of religion and politics
Background reading and listening:
- Pope Francis' clergy sexual abuse commission needs more time to work directly with the pope, says a former member.
- A Chilean cardinal and member of Pope Francis' advisory Council of Cardinals has written a letter to rebut media reports that the pope's visit to Chile in January was a failure.
- Pope Francis is striking a deep and profound chord with many U.S. Catholics through the lens of organized labor, writes Winters.
- A Pope Francis Lexicon is a new volume co-edited by Joshua J. McElwee and Catholic News Service's Cindy Wooden, collecting 54 essays by prominent figures on the different words that have become important in the ministry of Pope Francis.
- Read all of NCR's coverage of Francis at five years.
- ICYMI: Last March, we spoke with Austen Ivereigh about Pope Francis' legacy.
How do I listen?
We can let you know when new podcast episodes are published. Sign up for emails here.
From your iPhone or iPad: Open the preloaded app called "Podcasts." It has a purple icon. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link, which will take you straight there. (You can also use the magnifying glass icon to search; type "NCR in Conversation.") Once you're on the series page, you can tap on an episode title to play it. Tap on the "subscribe" button to have new episodes sent to your phone. If you prefer another podcast player, you can find "NCR in Conversation" there. (Here’s the RSS feed.)
From your Android phone or tablet: You can listen and subscribe using the preloaded Google Play app. If you're reading this from your phone, tap this link to play the latest episode and learn more about the app.
From your desktop or laptop: You can also simply press the play button above to listen on this page. Make sure to keep this window open on your browser, or the audio will stop. You can always find the latest episode of NCR in Conversation at NCRonline.org/podcast.
Work at NCR!
Seniors and recent college graduates may apply to be the next Bertelsen Editorial Intern. Learn more about this opportunity.
Join the Conversation
Send your thoughts and reactions to our online Letters to the Editor column. Learn more here